Unlike some tomato preserving recipes, this one makes use of the entire tomato – nothing goes to waste! The quantities in this recipe are easily scaled up or down depending on your tomato crop.
- 2kg Green Tomatoes, diced
- 400g Onion, diced
- 900g Sugar
- 750ml White Vinegar
- 3/4 cup of Plain Flour
- 9 tbsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Turmeric
- Replace a third of your sugar with Brown Sugar
- In a large saucepan add a layer of 1/3 of the diced tomatoes and 1/3 of the diced onions, add 1/3 of the salt evenly over the layer. Repeat until you have 3 layers.
- Cover the saucepan and leave to stand overnight – the salt will draw out any moisture.
- Next day, drain off all the liquid.
- Pour a kettle of boiling water over the mixture and drain off. Do this a second time.
- Add 450ml of vinegar, cover and bring to the boil. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add the sugar, stir until dissolved. Turn the heat off.
- In a bowl combine the flour, turmeric, curry powder and the remaining 300mls vinegar until it becomes a paste. Add the paste slowly to the tomato mixture while stirring.
- When fully combined, simmer gently for another 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before bottling in sterilized jars.